Monday, September 7, 2009

What to call the ... operator?

What should we call Perl 5's ... operator? In list context it is identical to the range operator (..) and in scalar context it is almost identical to the flip-flop operator (also ..). The Camel and perlop are strangely silent on this. I am currently calling it the alternate range/flip-flop operator for lack of a better term. What do you call it?


  1. You'll find that the ... operator is commonly referred to as the "yadda yadda yadda" operator. Try googling yadda operator perl :-)

  2. No, the yadda yadda yadda operator is in Perl 6 and is very different. I am talking about the ... operator in Perl 5. It is a variant of the range and flip-flop operators. In Perl 6 it has been replaced by .. and fff.

  3. I parsed "alternate" as a verb, not as an adjective, so my first thought was that it should be the flip-flop flip-flop oerator.


Some limited HTML markup is allowed by blogger: strong, b, i, and a. You may also use em, but I have repurposed it through the magic of CSS to be behave very much like <tt><code></code></tt>.